Evolve Africa has officially unveiled the third edition of the Uganda Marketing Excellence Awards (UMEAs), themed “Celebrating Ideas That Work.” Scheduled for Friday, December 1st, 2023, the event aims to spotlight the achievements of brands, agencies, and marketers, showcasing their marketing triumphs and elevating the quality of business practices.
Following the success of the 2022 edition, which saw 11 winners recognized for their outstanding marketing strategies in the Ugandan market, the UMEAs 2023 were introduced during a press conference held at the Kampala Serena Hotel this afternoon.
Evolve Africa, the brains behind this grand celebration of marketers, has revealed that this year’s awards ceremony will be a glamorous red carpet affair, with attendees dressing in black-tie attire. The event will take place at the Kampala Serena Hotel on December 1.
Shafique Ssemakula, Co-Founder of Evolve Africa, emphasized that the UMEAs encompass all facets of the marketing profession, spanning Communications, Advertising, and Public Relations.
He noted, “The UMEAs will evaluate how brands, marketers, and their agency partners have harnessed various media channels, both digital and traditional, to create campaigns that have left a powerful impact on their target audiences and businesses.”
Ssemakula also highlighted the event’s new partnerships with prominent brands in Uganda, stating, “This year, we are proud to be joined by I&M Bank Uganda, a leading financial growth partner. Our partnership marks the beginning of a long-term relationship aimed at fostering the growth of the marketing industry.”
Speaking during the launch, Darius Mugisha, Marketing and Strategy Director at Matooke Republic, expressed, “The UMEAs provide an invaluable opportunity for a developing brand like ours, as they enable us to connect with the individuals who wield significant influence over the commercial viability of businesses like Matooke Republic.”
Entries for participation in the UMEAs 2023 are now open at www.umeawards.org, with an emphasis on the inclusivity of all organizations engaged in marketing campaigns that have the potential to earn them recognition and accolades.
The UMEAs 2023 introduce special categories, including the ‘Best ESG Campaign Award,’ ‘Best Not for Profit/Social Good Award,’ and ‘Rising Agency of the Year.’ These additions complement the existing awards list, which includes:
- Advertising Campaign of the Year
- Best Use of Partnership Marketing
- Best Use of Digital Marketing
- PR Campaign of the Year
- Best Innovation – New Product/Service/Process
- Experiential Marketing Campaign of the Year
- Best Not for Profit/Social Good Campaign *NEW – For entry but not for public vote
- Best ESG Campaign *NEW – For entry but not for public vote
- Rising Agency of the Year – For entry but not for public vote
- Agency of the Year – For entry but not for public vote
- Marketing Campaign of the Year – For entry but not for public vote
- UMEAs Marketing Pioneer Award – (Not for entry and public vote)
A distinguished six-member jury of industry professionals was unveiled by Evolve Africa, selected based on their leadership, contributions to the profession, experience, and academic qualifications. The jury will oversee the nomination and selection of award winners for the UMEAs 2023.
Ssemakula clarified that while the jury will determine all nominations, public votes will play a role in six of the eleven award categories. He noted, “The jury will solely decide the winners of the remaining four categories. Establishing a jury aims to professionalize the processes, ensuring credibility, transparency, and fairness.”
The jury includes:
- Dr. Benedict Mugerwa, Ph.D. (Head of Professional Courses, UMI)
- Ngulumi Immaculate Nabatte (Chief Manager Marketing & Branding, Centenary Bank)
- John Paul Okwi (Senior Manager Events & Sponsorships, MTN Uganda and Jury President)
- Rogers Anguzu (Commercial Director, Crown Beverages Ltd)
- Barbra Arimi Teddy (Head Marketing & Communications, NSSF)
- Jackie Namara (CEO IguruConsult Ltd)
Nomination Criteria and Deadlines:
Nomination criteria for the Uganda Marketing Excellence Awards 2023 will be based on three primary aspects: alignment with strategy, implementation, and impact in accordance with set objectives.
To submit entries for any category, visit the UMEAS website or follow this link: https://umeawards.org/entry-submission-form/. The entry deadline for the UMEAs 2023 is October 22nd, 2023.
The winners of the UMEAs 2023 will be unveiled on December 1st, 2023, during the awards gala at the Kampala Serena Hotel.
The UMEAs 2023 are organized by Evolve Africa and proudly sponsored by: Matooke Republic, I&M Bank Uganda, Daily Monitor, KFM, NTV, Spark TV, NSSF, Equity Bank, Kampala Serena Hotel, UDB, Radio City, Kadanke Brand House, Wango App, and Centenary Bank.