Four people have completely lost their sight after consuming toxic local gin, City 5. This comes two days after 14 people were confirmed dead after drinking the deadly local gin.
Over the weekend, 20 people were rushed to Arua Referral Hospital for suspected methanol poisoning, after they developed symptoms of poisoning such as stomach ache, dizziness, and vomiting.
Dr. Onesmus Misoa, Ag. Principal, Ophthalmology, Arua Referral Hospital revealed that 14 people have been discharged, four people have gone blind and two have partially lost their sight.
“The two still have a degree of vision,” he said.
State Minister for Trade, David Bahati told parliament on Tuesday that the trade ministry dispatched a team of UNBS officials who assessed the situation and picked samples to analyze the content of the liquid consumed by the victims.
“The point of production of this particular liquor has been closed and we are working with the Police in Arua to carry out further investigations and make more arrests in case we find the culprits,” he said.