At the start of this second lockdown, government undertook a verification exercise of the vulnerable people in over 20 cities and municipalities. The finance ministry released Shs53.5 billion to provide relief to those who were considered vulnerable.
The disbursing of Shs100,000 mobile money package to the targeted 501,107 beneficiaries started last week and on Wednesday, Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanja told parliament that a total of 413,504 beneficiary records had been submitted to the bank and paid.
However, people especially in the Kampala Metropolitan Area have been complaining about not receiving any money from government.
While explaining the cause of delay in payment of some individuals, Minister for ICT and National Guidance, Dr Chris Baryomunsi disclosed that about 6,000 people received double payment from the COVID-19 relief funds.
According to Baryomunsi, a human error was made by the bank and it sent people especially those on Airtel twice. He however claims that the error was quickly realised and the bank together with Airtel recovered the money.
Meanwhile Baryomunsi also said that Ugandans should not expect ‘full re-opening’ at the end of the 42 days of lockdown that ends next week on Friday. He said cabinet is still discussing the matter.