Tomorrow, December 21, 2019, the Deputy President of Kenya Willion Ruto is expected to preside over the groundbreaking ceremony of the construction of new college at Makerere University named after him, the William Ruto Institute of African and Leadership Studies.
The event will take place at the Department of Performing Arts and Film Grounds, Pool Road, Makerere University, Kampala Uganda. The goals of the institute include:
The goals of the institute include:
- Draw on the core strengths of the diversity of disciplines and experience to develop and refine methodologies for the study of Africa;
- Develop innovative approaches to teaching and learning about Africa;
- Collaborate with similar Institutes in Africa and globally to deepen the understanding of Africa in all its complexity and evolve common perspectives on global issues;
- Strengthen relationships between academic and indigenous intellectuals as the basis for reclaiming indigenous knowledge, and integrate this into local communities;
- Establish an environment for flourishing study and debate on African languages, arts, philosophies, social and political systems;
- Enhance and enrich intellectual and cultural life;
- Contribute to the discussion, analysis and resolution of critical developmental challenges facing African Societies through research and extension work.
Wiliam Ruto has been Kenya’s Deputy President from 2013 and served as the Acting President of Kenya between October 5 and 8, 2014 when President Uhuru Kenyatta was at the Hague.