Archbishop Lwanga, Museveni meet for the first time following overthrow and spying talk

Archbishop Lwanga and President Museveni at State House, Nakasero

Following the impasse between the Catholic church and the state, President Yoweri Museveni has held a private meeting with Archbishop Cyprian Kizito Lwanga at State House, Nakasero.

“I held private fruitful deliberations with His Grace, the Archbishop of Kampala Archdiocese, the Most Reverend Cyprian Kizito Lwanga, at State House Nakasero,” a statement on Museveni official Facebook page reads.

The meeting was held yesterday and it follows a presidential phone call to the prelate on Easter Monday following a Good Friday sermon where Lwanga revealed his life had been threatened by an anonymous caller who claimed the state had received information linking him to a plot to overthrow the government.

Lwanga said the anonymous caller warned him to be careful, saying he might be the next Janan Luwum, the former Archbishop of Church of Uganda, who was killed by the Idi Amin government on February 16, 1977.

During Easter Mass at Rubaga Cathedral, Lwanga revealed that the state had recruited clergymen to spy to religious leaders. He cited a case of the priest who recently died under unclear circumstances and later the security personnel went to his residence claiming for a gun that the priest had reportedly been using to do their work.

Museveni and Lwanga and Nakasero.

During the sermon, the archbishop appealed to informants to stop telling the president lies.

Lwanga advised the clergy, that they cannot serve in church and security.

He also asked the President to be kind enough and tell them the Church leaders he has recruited in ISO, ESO or CMI.

No details have been released from the Museveni – Lwanga meeting. Photos however indicate it was a cordial meeting despite the fact that Lwanga has spoken vocally against Museveni’s plans to rule for life.  A 75-year age limit cap for a presidential candidate, the last hurdle to Museveni’s possible life presidency was removed late last year when MPs voted to amend the Constitution and remove the clause.